NYJetsChat: TJB- Kiper's second Mock Draft has Jets selecting RB Leonard Fournette - NYJetsChat

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TJB- Kiper's second Mock Draft has Jets selecting RB Leonard Fournette

#1 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

Mel Kiper's second Mock Draft for ESPN has the Jets selecting LSU running back Leonard Fournette with the sixth overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

View the full article

#2 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat
  • Group: Site Donor

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:01 PM

Has no eyes or feet, like Ivory or Peterson, backs that can't make quick cuts in confined areas are easy to contain
Ferrid, the big hose knows

#3 User is offline   mudcat21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

I like the choice. I'd definately take Fournette if he is there at #6.
Breaking news: ISIL to change it's name to "I Can't Believe We're Not Islamic!"-Now with 20% less bombings and beheadings!

#4 User is offline   Section 224B 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

View Posthmhertz, on 15 February 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Has no eyes or feet, like Ivory or Peterson, backs that can't make quick cuts in confined areas are easy to contain

Says the blind squirrel

#5 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostSection 224B, on 15 February 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Says the blind squirrel

I can make quick moves in confined areas leading to gushers

#6 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

View Postmudcat21, on 15 February 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

I like the choice. I'd definately take Fournette if he is there at #6.

Jimmy Johnson shares my concerns, pointing out every good defense Fourtunate face stopped him.
Cook is better and McCafferty has more potential than any back in the draft. 2nd year flop Gurley also
has poor vision & lousy feet, some are starting to compare him to Richardson

#7 User is offline   Meddle 

• Free Your Mind...

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

Fournette at 6 would be a huge mistake. He's a very good talent, but you don't take RBs that high unless the back is great and the team can make good use of him. Dallas did with Zeke, who is a far more complete back in comparison to Fournette. We are not in that situation. The Jets have acute needs and RB is not one of them.

Take the best (most valuable) player available who you can use or move back and go after a guy like OJ Howard.
Caring about the Jets is bad for your health.

#8 User is offline   Glenn 

• More Cow Bell
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:00 AM

We can get backs in FA. I wouldn't want to draft one at 6.

#9 User is offline   dcat 

• Dumb & Dumber

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:25 AM

When Mac selects a CB, Lattimore most likely, at #6... this board and others will have an epic melt down.
Fold for Darnold.

#10 User is offline   Glenn 

• More Cow Bell

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

View Postdcat, on 16 February 2017 - 11:25 AM, said:

When Mac selects a CB, Lattimore most likely, at #6... this board and others will have an epic melt down.

I for one would love to get this guy at 6. He sounds like a bigger, stronger Revis in his prime.

#11 User is offline   Jets79 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

so many needs...if I had to rank them, it'd be tough but something like this I guess

QB, OLB, OT, CB, TE, S, RB

Everything I'm reading says there are no OT's worthy of a top ten pick...strong draft for corners, and the QB thing is impossible to figure out...no sure fire ready to plug and play guys, but QB's always get overdrafted, so I think the top three guys (Mitch, Watson, Kizer) will all go top ten...they always seem to go higher than they should.

Last year no one thought Goff or Wentz were top ten picks at this time and they went 1-2 so who knows

#12 User is offline   jmc712 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostMeddle, on 16 February 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Fournette at 6 would be a huge mistake. He's a very good talent, but you don't take RBs that high unless the back is great and the team can make good use of him. Dallas did with Zeke, who is a far more complete back in comparison to Fournette. We are not in that situation. The Jets have acute needs and RB is not one of them.

Take the best (most valuable) player available who you can use or move back and go after a guy like OJ Howard.

The early reports I've seen say the strength of this draft is depth so I would like to see the Jets get some extra picks. The problem, of course, is that in a depth draft with sub-par QB prospects, who wants to trade up?

#13 User is offline   bungaman 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

No. He's not a sure thing, and a good RB can be had in the second. I'd rather see CB/playmaker at #6 (or move down a few slots), then BPA.

#14 User is offline   mudcat21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostMeddle, on 16 February 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

From what I read, Fournette is the best RB prospect to come out in years.

Want some more information on him? Here are a few scouting reports:

NFL.com: High-end talent with rare blend of size, speed and power. Comparisons to Adrian Peterson feel lofty, but from a physical standpoint, he's there. Fournette doesn't have the wiggle to make defenders miss and his vision can be iffy. However, if your run fits and tackling aren't sound, he can take it the distance in an instant. May have durability concerns due to physical running style, but has All-Pro potential. (Compared him to Bo Jackson)

CBS Sports: One of the many elements which make Fournette such a special talent is that he complements his power with the shiftiness and speed of a much smaller back. Whereas most backs his size rumble down the lane, Fournette can tip-tap his way to and through the hole. Even defenders able to crash through the line of scrimmage to meet him in the backfield can be left grasping at air as Fournette possesses the lateral agility, balance and burst to make 90-degree cuts in either direction. He is also a natural, patient runner. Fournette will slow down to allow his blockers to do their job, exploding with sudden acceleration once a lane is presented to him. With terrific vision for cut-back lanes and the speed to simply run away from defenders once in the open field, Fournette is a big play waiting to happen as a running back, receiver and kick returner. Even where Fournette has limited experience -- like in the passing game -- he shows the traits necessary to project well at the next level.

Walter Football: For the NFL, Fournette looks like he has the ability to be a franchise player like Peterson. Dominant running backs can make a big difference in the win/loss column, and Fournette could make any offense difficult regardless of the quarterback. Fournette is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. He looks like a future franchise player and Pro Bowl running back - if he can stay healthy. His play thus far has made him worthy of those Peterson comparisons.

NFL Mocks: Leonard Fournette is a starting running back at the next level who can succeed in any scheme. He wins with an elite combination of vision, speed and power. He is not someone who is ready to contribute as a third-down back at this point in his career. Despite the ankle injury and struggles against Alabama's NFL-caliber defense, Fournette is a rare talent who should be graded higher than former top-10 picks Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott.

ESPN: Fournette will be a three year junior that has proven durable despite a heavy workload (513 total touches) in 25 games (18 starts) in first two seasons. He led the nation in rushing yards per game (162.7) in 2015 while recording 1,950 yards and 22 touchdowns. Fournette has room to improve with his patience and as a receiver in the passing game. However, he has a rare combination of size, power, agility and speed for the position and belongs in the conversation of Adrian Peterson, Todd Gurley and Ezekial Elliot as a potential top ten pick.
Breaking news: ISIL to change it's name to "I Can't Believe We're Not Islamic!"-Now with 20% less bombings and beheadings!

#15 User is offline   dcat 

• Dumb & Dumber

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:54 PM

View PostSection 224B, on 15 February 2017 - 05:56 PM, said:

Says the blind squirrel

That's a goat, not a squirrel.
Fold for Darnold.

#16 User is offline   mrcoops 

• Engorged Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:46 AM

Malik Hooker at 6. Get on the bus.
"Schottenheimer". Heimer means "the dark" - John Tobin, 15 November 2011

Posted Image

#17 User is offline   John Tobin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:22 AM

You guys who would blow a #6 pick on a CB....I just don't know what to say anymore.
They go by points

#18 User is offline   jmc712 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:38 AM

Unless there's a QB, I hope for a 3 down OLB with great pass rush skills. If neither is available I hope they can swing a trade down but not sure what would be the incentive for another team to move up to 6 if there are no QB or edge rusher the Jets want. Just have a feeling that top prospects at 6 will be DB and there will be no interest by any team in moving up. I guess we can hope a few DB really WOW at combine & move up to top 5 in the rankings.

#19 User is offline   John Tobin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:49 AM

GET YOUR FQB in the building. Every other move is a waste of time. This is not an opinion.
These are the Laws of the Universe.
They go by points

#20 User is offline   jmc712 

• Advanced Member

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostJohn Tobin, on 17 February 2017 - 11:49 AM, said:

GET YOUR FQB in the building. Every other move is a waste of time. This is not an opinion.
These are the Laws of the Universe.

You have to recognize one and have him available when your turn comes up in the draft. It's not a waste of time to build your roster while seeking a QB. Prescott was impressive but that was an ideal situation thanks to building OL, drafting very good RB, & having a talented group of receivers. Marino & Rivers have no rings, 1 SB appearance.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users