• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jack Ass-hole

#1 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat
  • Group: Site Donor

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:44 PM

Robinson backfires on Jets

New York Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan usually has a winning touch when it comes to acquiring veteran players in trades, but he really blew it with Rashard Robinson.

On Tuesday, the trade went from bad to embarrassing, with the Associated Press reporting the second-year cornerback was arrested last month for allegedly possessing marijuana-laced candy.

Maybe that explains why he was a healthy scratch for the final two games.

Maccagnan took a chance on Robinson, knowing he had a history of off-the-field problems. At LSU, he was suspended in 2014 for a failed drug test and poor academics. He wasn't allowed to re-enroll because he was arrested for unauthorized entry into a teammate's apartment in June 2015. He transferred to a community college and trained for the 2016 draft.

The San Francisco 49ers picked him in the fourth round, but they lost patience because of his immaturity and penalty-prone ways. They found a sucker at the trading deadline, convincing the Jets to give up a fifth-round pick.

Somewhere in the Bay Area, 49ers GM John Lynch must be laughing.

Maccagnan has gambled on character risks, and one of those gambles turned into a success story -- Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Maybe he saw Robinson as his new reclamation project, but here's the difference: There was no downside to the Seferian-Jenkins move because they acquired him on waivers. With Robinson, they surrendered a piece of draft capital.

It was a puzzling trade because everybody with access to Google knew about Robinson's troubles, but the Jets apparently were blinded by his size and speed.

The first red flag was his playing time, as he appeared in only 20 defensive snaps over the second half of the season. Think about it: He couldn't crack a secondary that had no No. 3 cornerback. When he got into a game, he got torched so badly on one play that he was immediately benched.

Coach Todd Bowles was asked about Robinson's inactivity before the final game: What's wrong with him?

"Nothing," Bowles said. "Just learning."

At some point in December, Robinson was arrested. According to the AP report, police in Morris County, New Jersey, found "THC infused Peanut Budda Buddah Candy" in his possession. Even if he's cleared by the authorities, he could face discipline from the league.

A bad trade just got worse.
Ferrid, the big hose knows

#2 User is offline   mudcat21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Somewhere in the Bay Area, 49ers GM John Lynch must be laughing.

Why did everyone on this forum know this was a bad trade but it never occurred to Mac?
Breaking news: ISIL to change it's name to "I Can't Believe We're Not Islamic!"-Now with 20% less bombings and beheadings!

#3 User is offline   bajakian 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:19 PM

View Postmudcat21, on 10 January 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Why did everyone on this forum know this was a bad trade but it never occurred to Mac?

Im actually having more problems with this trade than the Hack draft pick And thats saying something!

#4 User is offline   mudcat21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

View Postbajakian, on 10 January 2018 - 04:19 PM, said:

Im actually having more problems with this trade than the Hack draft pick And thats saying something!

The guy was going to get released, we could have had him for free. At best you would trade a 7th rounder not a 5th for him if you ranked him highly and other teams might have wanted him.
Breaking news: ISIL to change it's name to "I Can't Believe We're Not Islamic!"-Now with 20% less bombings and beheadings!

#5 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

View Postmudcat21, on 10 January 2018 - 03:07 PM, said:

Not everyone, there was one guy that disagreed.
I won't give his name because he is a good guy and
if he wants to reveal himself, it's his own business

#6 User is offline   mrcoops 

• Engorged Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:49 AM

View Posthmhertz, on 10 January 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Not everyone, there was one guy that disagreed.
I won't give his name because he is a good guy and
if he wants to reveal himself, it's his own business

That was probably me because, like Todd and Rex, I love Corners.

Think I saw it as an understandable gamble on a talented guy with upside, that the Jets clearly liked.

Not looking like it was a great gamble at this point. But that's gambling - sometimes, you hit the jackpot and sometimes you go bust.

I still think the guy has talent, but it appears that he might be too stupid to put it to good use.
"Schottenheimer". Heimer means "the dark" - John Tobin, 15 November 2011

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

View Postmrcoops, on 11 January 2018 - 06:49 AM, said:

That was probably me because, like Todd and Rex, I love Corners.

Think I saw it as an understandable gamble on a talented guy with upside, that the Jets clearly liked.

Not looking like it was a great gamble at this point. But that's gambling - sometimes, you hit the jackpot and sometimes you go bust.

I still think the guy has talent, but it appears that he might be too stupid to put it to good use.

I gave you a chance to stay anonymous, your reputation is forever stained

#8 User is offline   bungaman 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:33 AM

View Posthmhertz, on 11 January 2018 - 07:52 AM, said:

I gave you a chance to stay anonymous, your reputation is forever stained

While Coops might have his reputation slightly tarnished, Mr. Hertz has stains of a different nature, all over himself and his screen ... :puke

#9 User is offline   ferrid 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

My problem was not that he gambled with taking a shot. My problem is that he over-payed. A 5th? What was he thinking. You can get a good contributor with a fifth.

#10 User is offline   mrcoops 

• Engorged Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:32 AM

View Postferrid, on 11 January 2018 - 10:48 AM, said:

My problem was not that he gambled with taking a shot. My problem is that he over-payed. A 5th? What was he thinking. You can get a good contributor with a fifth.

That's certainly true, although most 5th round picks last only a year or two in the league. You can get good players there, but it's a longshot.

But, yes, the trade would look a lot better if it had been for a 7th. However, we don't know what (if anything) any other teams were offering, so it's possible that Macc had to offer the 5th to secure his guy.

It's not looking like a good trade, but I can understand why he did it at the time.
"Schottenheimer". Heimer means "the dark" - John Tobin, 15 November 2011

Posted Image

#11 User is online   John Tobin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

"Having justification" and "being right" are vastly different in the results-oriented NFL.
They go by points

#12 User is offline   bajakian 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

View Postmrcoops, on 11 January 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

That's certainly true, although most 5th round picks last only a year or two in the league. You can get good players there, but it's a longshot.

But, yes, the trade would look a lot better if it had been for a 7th. However, we don't know what (if anything) any other teams were offering, so it's possible that Macc had to offer the 5th to secure his guy.

It's not looking like a good trade, but I can understand why he did it at the time.

He also did it at a time when our secondary was banged up and needed some players. that may have forced his hand slightly but the trade still sucks in retrospect and probably anterospect

#13 User is offline   bajakian 

• Advanced Member

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:09 PM

Hey Bellicheck gave up a second round for Kony Ealy then cut him. so its not like we are the only FO making bad decisions if thats any consolation

#14 User is offline   jetophile 

• YEAR OF THE MONKEY

Posted 11 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'll never quite get the poor academics thing across all sports. You get a scholarship for athletic ability, but can't read See Spot Run. How do you get through college? Can someone please enlighten me.
Posted Image

JETS FOOTBALL: MORBIDLY FASCINATING."I think the sky is fallen and may bottem out in the next few weeks unless something moraculas happens" mykAZjet

#15 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:31 PM

View Postjetophile, on 11 January 2018 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'll never quite get the poor academics thing across all sports. You get a scholarship for athletic ability, but can't read See Spot Run. How do you get through college? Can someone please enlighten me.

When my first grade teacher read to me see spot runs, I suggested a doggy diaper

#16 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 11 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

You probably could get a veteran trouble making DB like Jack Rabbit for a fifth.
9oars would have taken a conditional 7th, only to be paid if he was still on the
roster the time of the draft

#17 User is offline   Losmeister 

• Losmeister

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

View Postbajakian, on 11 January 2018 - 02:09 PM, said:

Hey Bellicheck gave up a second round for Kony Ealy then cut him. so its not like we are the only FO making bad decisions if thats any consolation

they keep winning, we keep fucking toilet who cant manage the clock

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users