New Media Tag Uses Embed popular video

#1 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:23 AM

Hi,

I'll be adding a bunch of new auto conversions to the media tags. This means the forum will automatically convert video links in a post to an embedded player without using any html or the security implications of allowing anyone to use html in their posts. It already does this for YouTube videos, but I'll add more as the need arises. When I see a linked video from a new source, I will use it to add the new tag and test out the new function, as I did when Henry posted the Burress video shown in the instructions below.

So far I have added ESPN video, but I plan to add Facebook Video, Yahoo Video, and Vimeo video.

To embed a ESPN video, simply click on the little gear symbol, signifying tools.. as shown below:

Attached File  tools.png (206.2K)
Number of downloads: 0

You'll see it exapnds the tools bar below the video, click 'share', as shown below:

Attached File  share.png (184.21K)

You'll now see all the share options instead of the video. Click 'Copy Link' as shown below:

Attached File  copylink.png (74.1K)

After you have copied the link, simply paste the link into any post and it will insert the video with the player... like this
Please make sure you post the video on a line by itself, so the player doesn't stretch the web page and force people to scroll left and right to read posts.

http://espn.go.com/v...id=espn:6862912

#2 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:36 AM

The only thing I don't like about ESPN video is there's no way to keep it from auto start. I wish I could opt for a different code with that option, but the old method with control no longer works. Bastids want to run a commercial whether you want to view anything or not.

#3 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Moving this topic to site help forum...

#4 User is offline   Sonny Werblin 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:47 AM

Just trying to get familiar with the site. Was at JetsInsider the past 9 years and am moving on
due to the conversion to Scout.com and the loss of functionality on the forums due to the switch.

I have to hand it to the site creator. This site is very user friendly. Kudos!

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, we haven't updated to the latest and greatest forum software because many of our old guys are familiar with the way this works. I try to do what I can to keep it somewhat current.

I look forward to your contribution on the team.

Thanks Again,

Mark

#6 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:34 PM

There was an update to the way Youtube links are handled, but I can see I never updated this topic.

You can post a straight youtube link in a thread and have it converted, as long as you remove the 's' from https:// I made it so the old method still worked so that old posts with videos wouldn't be broken.

I'll have to come up with something new so that the new https:// links work, eventually. But for now, you can post the link in the thread, just remember to remove the 's' and it'll embed the clip.

:)

#7 User is offline   Sonny Werblin 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

View PostMaven, on 04 September 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Thanks, we haven't updated to the latest and greatest forum software because many of our old guys are familiar with the way this works. I try to do what I can to keep it somewhat current.

I look forward to your contribution on the team.

Thanks Again,

Mark

It seems pretty up to date to me. You should see the crap they have at Scouts.com. It is not only difficult to use, it is hard to read. The set up is terrible. JetsInsider is going to lose a lot of posters because of the move to Scouts.com.

#8 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

This was up to date about 5 years ago when I did the last software update, but it's way behind the latest now. I think it works for what we need. I tried to add mods to add function that we needed as they came along. Once the software was too far downlevel, they stop developing new mods for it. So, we're pretty much stuck with what we have until I do a major upgrade. I have other forum sites, so I'm pretty well versed in the forum software scene.

Most of the guys are resistant to change, so it would have to be a really big lack of something people thought we needed to make the call to upgrade. If there's anything you you'd like to see, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do.. within the scope of what is available.

Cheers

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users