• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JetsFan58 In Memoriam

#1 User is offline   jetophile 

• YEAR OF THE MONKEY
  • Group: Site Donor

Posted 08 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

JetsFan58 passed away on November 18th, 2007 of Malignant Melanoma. His name was David Leo Ross. David, Leo…there’s a lion in there. I was waiting for a go ahead from a family member to officially say so, so here it is.

David and I became fast friends through PM’s, emails, and phone calls. He first contacted me when he saw something I posted about my husband. A Cancer Survivor who went on to become a Triathlete, but not only that, an Iron Man. Look it up. They’re all nuts.

I got into the habit of calling David regularly. We’d talk Jets and talk about his illness. I’d mail him books, Jets Game Day Programs. I think that’s the main reason he liked me. My candor. You’re sick, so complain. But he never did. He was very matter of fact about it. His main concern was his love for his daughter. I never asked or posed questions, but I sensed regret there. He was a quiet guy, but he gushed about her in his quiet way. I think it’s safe to say that he considered her the greatest thing he’d ever done. He was infinitely proud of her. Fathers and Daughters, I resonate with that.

David told me months before he died that he was donating his body to science and whatever was left was to be cremated. He wanted the remainder to be given to his daughter. His former wife left me the kindest message about a memorial luncheon that I couldn’t make, but I emailed her something that I know David was too sick to read while he was still here. I asked her to pass it onto their daughter, which she did.

Part of that email, I had some time coming to me from work. I offered to fly out to Columbus, OH and actually meet him, hold his hand. I didn't pity him. I guess I wanted to comfort myself in some inexplicable way, too. I found out posthumously that he dug his Local Historical Society. Damn it. I’m sure he knew about the Speech to the One Hundred Sixty-Fourth Ohio Regiment (Abraham Lincoln, I’m incurable). Our friendship was entirely too short, but it was very sweet and treasured dearly as to me.

It’s a convoluted story how I found out he died for sure and when. At least initially. I asked all the right questions in all the right ways. “He’s no longer at this facility.” How symbolic. I cried for two days. Relief, because he was no longer suffering. Sadness, because he was sick in the first place. Here’s his obit.

http://www.legacy.com/Dispatch/Obituaries....rsonID=98332130

It’s not going to be up for all that long. It was an honor knowing him, and why he was a JETS fan. It’s great doggerel. It really is.

Posted Image

RIP, David. Miss you.
Posted Image

JETS FOOTBALL: MORBIDLY FASCINATING."I think the sky is fallen and may bottem out in the next few weeks unless something moraculas happens" mykAZjet

#2 User is offline   hmhertz 

• Old Goat

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

David was very kind to me during my illness, I'll miss him dearly
Ferrid, the big hose knows

#3 User is offline   prime5 

• Advanced Member

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:43 PM

I never got to correspond with Mr.Ross.My loss.He obviously was a special person.We are fortunate to have the quintessental one,Jetophile on this board.She is smart. compassionate and one classy individual.Kudos!!!

#4 User is offline   cdcollins5 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:17 AM

View Postjetophile, on 12/8/07, 22:19, said:

JetsFan58 passed away on November 18th, 2007 of Malignant Melanoma. His name was David Leo Ross. David, Leotheres a lion in there. I was waiting for a go ahead from a family member to officially say so, so here it is.

David and I became fast friends through PMs, emails, and phone calls. He first contacted me when he saw something I posted about my husband. A Cancer Survivor who went on to become a Triathlete, but not only that, an Iron Man. Look it up. Theyre all nuts.

I got into the habit of calling David regularly. Wed talk Jets and talk about his illness. Id mail him books, Jets Game Day Programs. I think thats the main reason he liked me. My candor. Youre sick, so complain. But he never did. He was very matter of fact about it. His main concern was his love for his daughter. I never asked or posed questions, but I sensed regret there. He was a quiet guy, but he gushed about her in his quiet way. I think its safe to say that he considered her the greatest thing hed ever done. He was infinitely proud of her. Fathers and Daughters, I resonate with that.

David told me months before he died that he was donating his body to science and whatever was left was to be cremated. He wanted the remainder to be given to his daughter. His former wife left me the kindest message about a memorial luncheon that I couldnt make, but I emailed her something that I know David was too sick to read while he was still here. I asked her to pass it onto their daughter, which she did.

Part of that email, I had some time coming to me from work. I offered to fly out to Columbus, OH and actually meet him, hold his hand. I didn't pity him. I guess I wanted to comfort myself in some inexplicable way, too. I found out posthumously that he dug his Local Historical Society. Damn it. Im sure he knew about the Speech to the One Hundred Sixty-Fourth Ohio Regiment (Abraham Lincoln, Im incurable). Our friendship was entirely too short, but it was very sweet and treasured dearly as to me.

Its a convoluted story how I found out he died for sure and when. At least initially. I asked all the right questions in all the right ways. Hes no longer at this facility. How symbolic. I cried for two days. Relief, because he was no longer suffering. Sadness, because he was sick in the first place. Heres his obit.

http://www.legacy.com/Dispatch/Obituaries....rsonID=98332130

Its not going to be up for all that long. It was an honor knowing him, and why he was a JETS fan. Its great doggerel. It really is.

Posted Image

RIP, David. Miss you.

phile,

Thanks for letting us know. I'm sorry I never got to know David. I enjoyed reading his posts, although he hadn't posted much in a good while.

My sincere condolences to you. He sounds like a great guy, and the world is a poorer place without him.

#5 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:10 AM

David was my friend. We talked about so many things. He would pop into the chat room, an hour before the game.. and we'd chat about a wide range of subjects. When talking Jets football, David was one of my favorite people to read. We had lots of common interests, and lots of common experiences, as we were both about the same age. Although we talked for about 2 years, he only informed me of his illness earlier this year. He was a brave man.

When things got slow here, David was still posting and promoting the site. In his last PM's to me, he was still trying to promote the site. He'd seen my blog about Randy Lange, and had sent me a PM asking me to read what he wanted to post on Randy's blog. He was going to thank Randy for all those chat sessions where he gave so much of his time, and at the same time, mention this site to try to bring in some new folks. When I told him that it worked and that there had been a bunch of new registrations, he was gald. Looking back, I think he wanted to say thanks to Randy for all those chats he gave.. knowing he'd never get the chance again.

He had a great sense of humor, was eager to support the site, and was quick to say thanks for even the smallest favor.

I will miss my friend.

#6 User is offline   ironmaidenjetfanNJ 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

wow. Bummer news. :rolleyes:

RIP Dave.

#7 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Some of you might know David from the newsgroup. I know he was active there, but I'm not sure if he used a different handle. He told me a different name once, but he may have been joking because someone else from the newsgroup had just entered the chat room. Maybe dcat or one of the others who post to the newsgroup will know for sure.

I believe he told me he used to read the Times forum, but didn't post.

He replied to a PM I sent him asking how he was doing in late Sept. He told me he hadn't posted much recently because he lost feeling below his waist from spinal compression. He said he hoped some of the feeling would return, as he had just completed 10 doses of radiation to his brain and spine. That's where his cancer had recently spread. He had a couple days here and there in mid Oct where he could post on the site, and he seemed upbeat in our correspondence. I just hope all the crazy characters here could offer him a break from all the emotion and pain he was dealing with. Like J, I never saw him complain.

#8 User is offline   mudcat21 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

Wish I had known about his illness.. I could have told him how to get in a clinical trial for a vaccine that is proving to be quite effective against malignant Melonoma.
Breaking news: ISIL to change it's name to "I Can't Believe We're Not Islamic!"-Now with 20% less bombings and beheadings!

#9 User is offline   dcat 

• Jetstraordinary

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:35 PM

thank you for posting this. I knew David for several years from another fan forum - the usenet Jets ng alt.sports.football.pro.ny-jets. He had been a regular poster in that forum for many years. He and I are the same age and we exchanged emails several times per year. He will be missed. Although saddened by his loss, I am relieved that his sufering is over. RIP David. When the NY Jets ultimately get that championship, I know you will be watching from above.
I'm sold. Fold for Darnold.

#10 User is offline   dcat 

• Jetstraordinary

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

View PostMaven, on 12/9/07, 12:12, said:

Some of you might know David from the newsgroup. I know he was active there, but I'm not sure if he used a different handle. He told me a different name once, but he may have been joking because someone else from the newsgroup had just entered the chat room. Maybe dcat or one of the others who post to the newsgroup will know for sure.

I believe he told me he used to read the Times forum, but didn't post.

He replied to a PM I sent him asking how he was doing in late Sept. He told me he hadn't posted much recently because he lost feeling below his waist from spinal compression. He said he hoped some of the feeling would return, as he had just completed 10 doses of radiation to his brain and spine. That's where his cancer had recently spread. He had a couple days here and there in mid Oct where he could post on the site, and he seemed upbeat in our correspondence. I just hope all the crazy characters here could offer him a break from all the emotion and pain he was dealing with. Like J, I never saw him complain.

He went by "Al_lien58" or something of that nature on usenet.

#11 User is offline   cdcollins5 

• Advanced Member

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:07 PM

Mark, Dcat, and others who were friends with David: I offern my sincere condolences. I'm relieved that he's no longer suffering or in pain, but saddened that he is gone from us at such an early age.

OK, here's my dumb question for the day. I've heard about usenet groups on the net for years, but have never heard how to access one and what their purpose is or difference from a net list like this.

#12 User is offline   jetophile 

• YEAR OF THE MONKEY

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

View Postmudcat21, on 12/9/07, 11:44, said:

Wish I had known about his illness.. I could have told him how to get in a clinical trial for a vaccine that is proving to be quite effective against malignant Melonoma.

He was actually a candidate for experimental treatment, but when his condition took a turn for the worse, he was dropped or not allowed to participate. Something along those lines. I guess they thought it would compromise his system too much. I get that, but I also don't get that at all. He was going to die, just give it to him. Seems senseless to me on some level, but I guess in view of the litigious society we live in, who is to say. Thanks for all of the views and responses, folks. I'm sure he would have found it warming that he was thought of and kindly regarded.

dcat: David did mention that someone from usenet somethin' somethin' paid him a personal visit some months ago (last year...?). Do you know if this guy's name is 'Johnny'? Can you please PM me as to this. Thanks.
Posted Image

JETS FOOTBALL: MORBIDLY FASCINATING."I think the sky is fallen and may bottem out in the next few weeks unless something moraculas happens" mykAZjet

#13 User is offline   burf 

• Official Jets Fan

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:28 PM

Very sad.
He was Jetsfan58, on the newsgroup.
Good guy.
Again, it kind of puts these games into perspective, for what they really are - - entertainment.
RIP, my friend...

#14 User is offline   Maven 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

If anyone wishes to sign the guestbook for David, it's here:

http://www.legacy.com/Dispatch/GB/Guestboo...rsonId=98332130

I'm sure the guestbook will be up for another couple weeks.

#15 User is offline   dcat 

• Jetstraordinary

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:31 PM

View Postcdcollins5, on 12/9/07, 15:07, said:

Mark, Dcat, and others who were friends with David: I offern my sincere condolences. I'm relieved that he's no longer suffering or in pain, but saddened that he is gone from us at such an early age.

OK, here's my dumb question for the day. I've heard about usenet groups on the net for years, but have never heard how to access one and what their purpose is or difference from a net list like this.

usenet is a dinosaur. Before the days of high speed internet, when message boards such as this were impossible due to bandwidth and speed issues, people wouold post on usenet, which is a newsgroup that is serviced by a newsgroup reader (much like an email server at an ISP). Tere are no pictures, attachments, or any html on it. It is basic text. I still participate due to my long-time ties to some of the folks over there. Some real good people like David was. Burf is a regular there too. Nowadays, usenet is mostly obsolete and messageboards such as this are far more attractive.

#16 User is offline   the_grunt 

• RO:DS PRESIDENT---F BUSH!!!

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:25 PM

I didn't know JetsFan58 personally, but, I know the bond we have on the forum and it's a tragic loss.

May he rest in peace and may his loved ones pain be tempered by the knowledge that he was loved and respected.

#17 User is offline   John Tobin 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

I never met the man. Sorry for those who are hurting. Let's all take a minute and think of them and wish them peace.

J.E.T.
They go by points

#18 User is offline   Losmeister 

• Losmeister

Posted 10 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

a beaut of an elegy, Philia...

hope hisn are managing their loss well...

RIP

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

#19 User is offline   xto3141 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

So sorry to hear the news. I didn't communicate with him on a personal basis, but it's always been great to meet posters online.

Condolences to all of you who knew him, and spoke with him regularly

#20 User is offline   jetophile 

• YEAR OF THE MONKEY

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:49 PM

'Johnny' has been successfully located. :)

Many thanks to Burf and dcat. It was somewhat of a needle in a haystack, but it got solved very quickly. I'll be passing along the info. in short order.

I have a mind like a camera. Here's a conversation I thought about today. It's pretty good:

"Did you get the Jets Yearbook? I only mailed it to you three weeks ago! How long does it take for a piece of mail to get across the CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES?!"
"Just got it today..."
"WHAT?! Well, the season is ten times worse since I mailed it!"
"Thanks, though. Really. Sort of."
"HAH. Please do toss it out the hospital window or light it on fire."
"Hehe. Hehehe...OK."

:lol:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users